Preferred name

Add a preferred name to your student record through MyU: My Info if you want the University to use your preferred name in communications and reporting whenever available. University systems using preferred name require at least 24 hours to update changes. Your preferred name will appear to parents and/or guests if you grant them access to information on your student record. Your primary/legal name may also appear.

Your primary/legal name is the default the University uses if no preferred name is submitted. Note that it is not possible to choose which systems from the lists below use preferred name and which use primary/legal name.

How to set a preferred name

Text instructions

  1. Log into MyU and select the My Info tab.
  2. Select the Edit button next to your name. The name in this example is “University Student.”
  3. Click the Add a New Name button in the pop-up box.
  4. Select the name type you would like to set.
  5. Enter the name as you would like it to appear. You may also change the date it takes effect.
  6. Click the Save button. You will see your preferred name within MyU.

Visual guide

To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.


Additional steps needed for some students

Commencement program and diplomas

If you are a graduating senior, confirm the name you want shown on the printed commencement program and on your diploma when you apply to graduate.

Residence hall rosters

If you live in a residence hall, submit a preferred name to Housing & Residential Life.

University systems that use your preferred name

  • Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports
  • Advising rosters
  • Campus directory (unless you have chosen to make your information private)
  • Canvas
  • Class rosters
  • Dean's List
  • Enrollment certifications (can print with preferred or primary/legal name)
  • Honors program
  • Library software
  • Major and minor lists
  • Moodle (must be submitted via MyU before your instructor generates the class information)
  • MyU
  • Parent/Guest access (both preferred and primary/legal name appear to parents/guests in this system)
  • Probation lists
  • U Card
  • Zoom

University systems that use your primary/legal name

  • Billing and payment documents
  • Financial aid documents
  • International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
  • Tax documents including 1098-T
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Enrollment verification, which includes the classes you've enrolled in and your GPA
  • Student employment and payroll documents
  • Study abroad, study away, and international student documents

Make your information private

Your name is designated as directory information and is a matter of public record. You can set your desired level of directory suppression through MyU: My Info (see step-by-step instructions). Requesting suppression does not limit access by authorized individuals, nor does it apply to information specifically related to most University employment information. University policy and the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulate the sharing of information and student records privacy at the University.