In-state tuition

Your tuition at the University of Minnesota is assessed according to your:

  • Degree or other program registration
  • Enrollment level
  • Residency status
  • Residency in a state or province with a reciprocity agreement


Who is eligible for in-state tuition:

  • All veterans with at least 90 days active duty service.
  • All current members of the Minnesota Guard and Reserve.
  • All individuals using the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship.
  • Dependents using Chapter 33 or Chapter 35 benefits.
  • Chapter 31 participants

Eligible individuals maintain status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at the University of Minnesota, even if enrolled in multiple programs.

How do you get in-state tuition applied to your account:

  • Veterans: Turn in a copy of your DD214 to us.
  • National Guard members and reservists: Turn in enlistment papers, unit reassignment orders, or any official document that lists your current unit of assignment.
  • Dependents: Apply for your GI Bill® through the VA. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to University Veterans Services to get in-state tuition applied to your account.