Apply for education benefits


To use your education benefits at UMN, you must be accepted into a degree program and be registered for classes, or take classes as a non-degree student. If non-degree, you are eligible for a maximum of 2 semesters of VA benefits in order to take prerequisite courses needed to enroll in a degree program. 

To learn what education benefits you may qualify for as a military veteran, service member, or dependent, please refer to eligibility information from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

How to use your education benefits

Step 1: Apply for benefits with the VA

Complete the application for education benefits through the VA. We recommend that you complete the online version of the application because it is processed the fastest.

Once your VA application has been processed, you'll receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) verifying your eligibility and benefits.

Step 2: Submit Certificate of Eligibility and DD214 (if applicable)

Submit your Certificate of Eligibility and, if applicable, DD214 to [email protected]. The DD214 should be a "member-4" copy.

Step 3: Request to use your benefits at UMN

Once you are registered, complete the Veteran Benefits Request for the term in which you want to use your benefits. You must submit this form for every semester in which you want to use your benefits.


If you're new to the University, have questions about how your benefits might affect financial aid, or want an explanation of the certification process, please call or visit University Veteran Services.


“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at