Exit counseling

Online exit counseling is required of all borrowers of federal and University-administered student loan programs. Exit counseling provides information regarding the rights and responsibilities of a borrower and a lender/servicer. Information about repayment, deferment, and cancellation of loans is provided.

You are required to complete exit counseling when you:

  • are within 30 days of your graduation date
  • leave the University (even if it is just temporary)
  • drop your registration below half-time enrollment
  • transfer to another school
  • leave for a National Student Exchange (NSE) experience

Once you have been selected for the exit process, you will receive an email with instructions to complete your exit counseling through your Student Center in MyU (see illustration below).

Screenshot of the MyU student center. Under the finances tab, the Exit Loan Counseling link is highlighted.


Did you transfer or withdraw?

If you recently transferred or withdrew from the University, please contact Student Account Assistance and inform them that your enrollment status has changed. Delaying your exit counseling could negatively affect your student loan grace period or repayment terms.


Make sure you complete your exit counseling in a timely manner. A hold will remain on your student record until exit counseling is complete. The hold may delay your diploma, prevent registration, and prevent access to your transcripts.