Full-time credits

The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you register for each semester. This information applies whether you are degree-seeking or registered for classes as non-degree. Your enrollment can have impacts to your student status, your financial aid, veteran benefits, and other aspects of your academic career.

Student typeFull-time creditsPart-time creditsHalf-time creditsLess than half-time credits
Undergraduate12+9 to 116 to 81 to 5
Graduate*6+4 to 531 to 2

*Biological Sciences & Computational Biology (BICB) and Occupational Therapy (OT)

Flat-rate Tuition for undergraduates

If you're a degree-seeking undergraduate student who is taking 13 or more credits, you'll be charged at the flat-rate tuition. Any credits beyond 13 are available at no additional charge. If you take fewer than 13 credits, you'll be charged per credit.

Prior to fall 2023, you would get charged at the flat-rate tuition if you took fewer than 13 credits, unless you requested an exemption. That process is no longer in practice. You do not need to request an exemption for taking fewer than 13 credits, and you will automatically be billed per credit.

Veteran benefits credit requirements

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has their own way of defining full-time enrollment status. Your VA benefits will vary based on your program, the number of credits you take, and the start and end dates of your classes. The VA looks at how many credits you are enrolled in on a given day rather than how many credits you take over the course of a semester. 

For questions about enrollment and veteran benefits, contact University Veteran Services.

Expand all

GI Bill® requirements

Your GI Bill® benefit eligibility will be determined by your enrollment status. If you are not enrolled full time (12 or more credits) your benefits will be prorated. 

If you have questions about your payment amount, the VA Education Office can be reached at 1-888-442-4551.

Chapter 33 enrollment information

If you are enrolled:

  • More than half-time, you will receive prorated monthly payments (e.g., 7-11 undergraduate or 4-5 graduate credits). Your monthly checks will be based on the prorated monthly rate of payment. For Chapter 33, your tuition payments will remain at your level of eligibility.
  • Half-time or less, you will not be eligible to receive the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).
  • For distance learning only, you will receive half of the national average for the BAH. You must be taking at least one in-person course to receive the full BAH amounts.

Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606 enrollment information

If you are enrolled less than full-time, you will receive prorated monthly payments of your education benefits. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Summer enrollment

The University of Minnesota does not have one standard summer term. If you plan to take classes during the May or summer terms your full-time status may be different than you expect. Your benefits will vary based on your program, the number of credits you take, and the length of your classes. 

For summer or May term classes it can be difficult to determine if you are full-time or not. Please contact University Veteran Services for help.

Financial aid eligibility

Most financial aid awards require that you enroll in a minimum number of credits to receive the award.

Max credit enrollment

If you are an undergraduate student, you may not register for more than 20 credits during fall or spring semesters, or 15 credits during summer, without approval. If you are interested in enrolling in more than the maximum credit load in one semester, you must contact your Success Coach to discuss this option.

Maintain active status

You must maintain continuous enrollment (i.e. register for classes) every fall and spring term. This is called maintaining “active” status. However, if you do not register for classes for a single term (with the exception of summer), your student status will be discontinued, or moved to “inactive” status. If you do not register for two or more consecutive semesters and at a later date wish to resume your studies at the University, you will have to apply for readmission.

If you need to take time off, a leave of absence may be appropriate. Speak with your Success Coach to determine what may be right for you.