Home > Academics > Transcripts


Note: Due to COVID-19, please expect delays in paper transcript processing and delivery. Transcripts are mailed from the Twin Cities campus twice per week. Students will receive an email notification when their order has been processed. Secure, electronic (PDF) versions of transcripts can be ordered and are delivered the same day.

Use the comparison chart to determine which document will serve your needs. You can find additional information about unofficial transcripts and official transcripts below the chart, or see the verify your enrollment status page for more about enrollment verification.

Feature Enrollment or Degree Verification Unofficial Transcript Official Transcript
Cost No cost No cost *No cost
Order method View in MyU View in MyU Online
Awarded degrees/certificates yes yes yes
Enrollment status (full time/part time) yes no no
Expected graduation term (self-reported) yes no no
GPAs (cumulative and degree) yes yes yes
Program information yes yes yes
Courses no yes yes
Grades no yes yes
Transcript notations no yes yes
Total number of transfer or test credits no yes yes
Security features Available option within MyU no yes
Registrar signature and certification Available option within MyU no yes

*Students considered "dual-enrolled" by the State of Minnesota (e.g., College in the Schools, Post-Secondary Enrollment Options) are not assessed the Academic Records Fee which covers the costs of official transcripts. These students are assessed $15 per document ordered. 

Unofficial transcripts

Getting your unofficial transcript is convenient and free. Students and those with Parent/Guest Access can log into MyU: Academics to print a copy at any time (see step-by-step instructions). You may also request a copy in person. The University does not send unofficial transcripts by mail or take requests by phone.

Obtaining your unofficial transcript online 

Go to MyU: Academics. View or print your unofficial transcript. You must have an active University Internet ID (x.500) and password. If you are a former student of the University, you can activate your Internet ID to access your unofficial transcript online.

Requesting an unofficial transcript in person 

You may obtain an unofficial copy of your transcript free of charge at any One Stop Student Services center. You must present a picture ID (University of Minnesota ID card, driver’s license, state ID, or passport).

Official transcripts

Official transcripts are certified and signed by the University registrar. They can be sent directly to you or another recipient at your request.

  • Electronic transcripts
    An electronic (secure, certified PDF) transcript is “official” in its electronic form as long as it is not altered. Electronic transcripts are only available through online requests via Parchment. Each time the file is opened, it will be certified electronically (internet connection required) to ensure it has not been altered. Electronic transcripts are available to download by the recipient for 30 days. After 30 days, the document will no longer be available. It is your responsibility to ensure that transcript is downloaded by the recipient within 30 days. A printed copy of an electronic PDF transcript is not official. While electronic transcripts are widely accepted, confirm with your recipients that they will accept this format before ordering. 

  • Paper transcripts
    A paper transcript is "official" only as long as it remains in its sealed white envelope. Do not open the sealed envelope if you are forwarding your transcript to another party (an institution, employer, or another person). Open the envelope only if you have ordered the transcript for personal use. Multiple paper transcripts (each in its own sealed white envelope) sent to a single address will be enclosed in a manila envelope that can be opened. 

The University of Minnesota considers transcripts “official” only when the certified record of academic work is transmitted in a confidential manner from the issuing institution and includes proper signatures and authentication elements. The acceptance of official transcript(s) is at the discretion of the Registrar and may include sealed paper documents, a secure PDF utilizing a secure delivery service, secure transmission of electronic records from the issuing institution, etc., and should be a complete record of all coursework taken with final grades/marks. Faxed or photocopied academic records are not considered official.

  • If you have an active Internet ID

    Recently-awarded grades or degrees may not yet be on your transcript. Check your unofficial transcript to be sure that all grades and/or degrees have posted before starting the order process. You will use your Internet ID and password to sign into the online request for official transcript system. 

    If you do not have an active Internet ID

    If you do not have or do not know your Internet ID and password, you can still order an official transcript online. You will need a valid email address (from any provider) to create an account in the official transcript system

    Ordering an official transcript

    The online official transcript request is for current and former students only. You are encouraged to check your unofficial transcript to make sure all grades and/or degrees have posted before ordering an official transcript. A third party requesting a transcript on a student's behalf must mail or fax the request along with a signed authorization by the student. 

    The Parchment online request is the most convenient way to order an official transcript. Transcripts requested online are available in either printed or electronic (a secure, certified PDF) format. However, you can submit a Request for Official Transcript form in person, by mail or fax. Payment for fees must be paid with a credit or debit card. According to University policy, official transcripts will not be issued for you if you have certain types of holds on your record. If you plan to work or further your education abroad, you may need to authenticate your degree, transcripts, and coursework by receiving an apostille or notarization.

    Supplemental forms and transcript orders

    If you were provided a form to submit along with your official transcript, you have two options:

    1. Add supplemental form information online 
    You may be able to include the information provided to you and use the University’s online request site to order an electronic transcript.

    • Search for your destination through the online ordering site and select the appropriate destination if it appears. 
    • If your destination does not appear, you will not be able to include the required information with your order.
    • NOTE: attachments are not allowed with paper transcript requests ordered online.

    All online transcript requests are processed by the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus. Contact onestop@umn.edu if you have questions about your request.

    2. Submit forms in person, by mail, or fax
    Ordering online is not an option if you are required to submit the form you were provided with an official paper transcript. Instead, you must submit the form you were provided and the required payment.

  • Most students have no charge for official transcripts. Students considered "dual enrolled" by the State of Minnesota (e.g., College in the Schools, Post-Secondary Enrollment Options) are not assessed the Academic Records Fee which covers the costs of official transcripts. These students are assessed $15 per document ordered. 

    Type of serviceMost studentsDual-enrolled students
    Electronic (fastest service)No charge$15 each transcript
    Regular MailNo charge$15 each transcript
    Domestic priority$15 delivery fee for each address$15 each transcript, plus $15 delivery fee for each address
    International PriorityNo charge$15 each transcript

    Service descriptions

    Electronic (fastest)

    • Typically processed within one hour, up to one business day
    • Download notice sent to recipient(s) automatically when processing is complete
    • Orders for electronic transcripts placed during regular system maintenance (Sundays, 6 a.m.-noon) will be accepted, but not processed until the next business day

    Regular mail

    • Processed within one business day of receipt
    • Allow sufficient time for delivery by U.S. mail

    Domestic priority

    • Orders received by 2 p.m. central time will be sent by next-business-day delivery. Delivery time is expected by 3:00 p.m. the following day to most US addresses. 
    • This service cannot be delivered to P.O. boxes, A.P.O boxes, or F.P.O. boxes.

    International priority

    • All deliveries to non-USA addresses are sent via international priority
    • Orders received by 2 p.m. central time will be sent by International Priority service. Delivery time is approximately 2-5 days.
    • This service cannot be delivered to P.O. boxes, A.P.O addresses, or F.P.O. addresses.
  • Academic calendar

    This semester system started fall 1999 for all University of Minnesota campuses. Prior to fall 1999 the University used a quarter system with these exceptions: Law school started on semesters fall 1981, and some College of Continuing and Professional Studies courses were taught on a semester calendar but the credits reported as quarter credits.


    The University of Minnesota is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of College and Schools.  

    Course (class) numbering system (from fall 1999)

    • 0000 to 0999 remedial courses
    • 1000 to 1999 primarily for undergraduates in first year
    • 2000 to 2999 primarily for undergraduates in second year
    • 3000 to 3999 primarily for undergraduates in third year
    • 4000 to 4999 primarily for undergraduates in fourth year, may be applied to a Graduate School degree with approval by the student’s major field and if taught by a member of the graduate faculty or an individual authorized by the program to teach at the graduate level
    • 5000 to 5999 primarily for graduate students but third and fourth year undergraduates may enroll
    • 6000 to 7999 for post-baccalaureate professional degree students
    • 8000 to 9999 for graduate students

    Prior course numbering systems

    For fall 1970 through summer 1999 (course numbering prior to 1970 is noted in parentheses):

    • 0000 to 0999 noncredit courses
    • 1000 to 1999 (01-49) introductory courses primarily for freshmen and sophomores
    • 3000 to 3999 (50-99) intermediate courses primarily for juniors and seniors
    • 5000 to 5999 (100-199) advanced courses primarily for juniors, seniors, and graduate students
    • 8000 to 8999 (200 and higher) for graduate and professional school students


    • Starting fall 1999 – units are semester credit
    • Prior to fall 1999 – units generally are quarter credit (see calendar for exceptions)
    • Thesis credit – an asterisk (*) will appear following the course title of courses numbered 8777, 8888, or 8999 if the degree award is shown

    An asterisk (*) indicates graduate credit taken though College of Continuing and Professional Studies (College of Continuing Education prior to fall 2017).

    Grading policy (complete)

    Available online at http://policy.umn.edu/education/gradingtranscripts

    Grading definitions

    A – achievement that is outstanding relative to the level necessary to meet course requirements
    B – achievement that is significantly above the level necessary to meet course requirements
    C – achievement that meets the course requirements in every respect
    D – achievement that is worthy of credit even though it fails to meet fully the course requirements
    E – achievement that is significantly greater than the level required to meet the basic course requirements but not judged to be outstanding
    F (or N) – represents failure (or no credit) and signifies that the work was either (1) completed but at a level of achievement that is not worthy of credit or (2) was not completed and there was no agreement between the instructor and the student that the student would be awarded an I (see also I)
    H – Honors (used by Law School and Medical School only)
    I – (Incomplete) assigned at the discretion of the instructor when, due to extraordinary circumstances, e.g., hospitalization, a student is prevented from completing the work of the course on time. Requires a written agreement between instructor and student
    K – assigned by an instructor to indicate the course is still in progress and that a grade cannot be assigned at the present time
    LP - low pass (used by Law School only)
    NG – no grade required
    NR - grade not reported
    O – represents outstanding achievement for Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine programs
    P – achievement designating passing work
    Q – achievement designating passing work
    R – a course related registration symbol
    S – achievement that is satisfactory, which is equivalent to a C- or better for undergraduate students (C or better on the Duluth campus). Graduate and professional programs may establish higher standards for earning a grade of S.
    T – test credit
    V – registration as an auditor or visitor (a non-grade non-credit registration)
    W – entered by the registrar’s office when the student officially withdraws from a course after the second week
    X – reported by the instructor for a student in a sequence course where the grade cannot be determined until the sequence is complete – the instructor is to submit a grade for each X when the sequence is complete
    Y – assigned from Fall 1929 to Summer 1959 to indicate the student canceled while doing passing work
    Z – assigned from Fall 1929 to Summer 1959 to indicate the student canceled while doing failing work

    On the Twin Cities campus from Fall 1972 through Summer 1977 and on the Morris campus from Fall 1972 through Summer 1985, the official University transcript included only positive academic achievements. Courses in which the student received a grade of N or a registration symbol of I or W did not appear on the transcript.

    Grade/numeric point average formula

    Effective Fall 1997, grade point values were standardized for the University. All units except Law use: A = 4.000, A- = 3.667,B+ = 3.333, B = 3.000, B- = 2.667, C+ = 2.333, C = 2.000, C- = 1.667, D+ = 1.333, D = 1.000, F = 0.000, I = 0.000, K = 0.000, X = 0.000. Effective Fall 2004, the Twin Cities campus Law School uses University standard grading, with the addition of A+ = 4.333 and excluding D+.

    Before 1997, most units did not use +/-. But the Duluth campus and the School of Management used: A = 4.0, A- = 3.6, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.6, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = 1.6, D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0, F = 0.0 and the Twin Cities General College used A = 4.0, A- = 3.6, B = 3.2, B- = 2.8, C+ = 2.4, C = 2.0, C- = 1.6, D = 1.2, D- = 0.8, F = 0.0

    Prior to Fall 2004, the Twin Cities campus Law School used a numeric rather than a grade point average for the juris doctor (J.D.) degree program. Grades ranged from 4-16 points based on the following: 14-16: Excellent/Outstanding; 11-13: Substantially better than average; 8-10: Minimally acceptable; 5-7: Inadequate (credits count towards degree completion, and NPA); 4: Failing; 0: Non-performance. Classes for which a 0 grade was earned are not included in NPA calculation. Grades earned in the LL.M. (Master of Laws) program were: A=4.00, B=3.00, C=2.00, D=1.00, F=0.00. No +/- distinctions are given.

    Symbols following course numbers

    C – certificate credit
    E – on Duluth campus, registration in Continuing Education, or on Twin Cities campus, an MBA course
    G – honors course for extra credit
    H – honors course
    J – evening MBA course for extra credit
    K – evening MBA course by independent study
    L – honors course by independent study
    M – extra credit by independent study
    Q – evening MBA extra credit by independent study
    R – honors extra credit by independent study
    S – semester registration (pre-1999)
    T – semester honors course (pre-1999)
    U – special term course taken for extra credit
    V – honors and writing intensive
    W – writing intensive
    X – extra credit
    Y – independent study
    Z – special term registration

    Additional notations

    • Canceled means all course registration was canceled (i.e., dropped) before the end of the second week of the term.
    • Degree with distinction indicates graduation with high GPA; degree with honors (laude) indicates completion of honors program.
    • Second Language Proficiency means demonstrated intermediate proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

Related Resources

Important Dates


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session