Home > Academics > Leave of absence (LOA)

Leave of absence (LOA)

If you do not plan to enroll in classes for at least one semester or more and plan to return to the University within two academic years, you may qualify for a Leave of Absence (LOA). A formal LOA requires approval and provides several benefits to you. A few benefits include being able to maintain your student status and degree program requirements upon your return. Learn more about eligibility requirements and application process below.

LOA eligibility includes:

  • Physical or mental health concerns
  • Family obligations
  • Financial concerns
  • Military service
  • Academics—sequenced courses not offered for upcoming term, reconsidering major, academic struggles or lack of direction, studying abroad, etc.
  • Career opportunities

You are not eligible for LOA if any of the following is true:

  • It is your first term at the University.*
  • You are currently on academic suspension.
  • You do not intend to return to the University.
  • You are admitted or plan to enroll in a degree program at another institution.
  • You are participating in the Study Abroad or National Student Exchange program (check with your advisor).

We recommended that you request a leave of absence for a future term, during the term prior to your leave. You may only request a leave of absence for the current term if you make the request no later than the tenth day of the term. 

*You may not take a leave of absence for your first term at the University. Instead, you may need to change your term of admission by contacting the Office of Admissions on your home campus. If you are currently taking classes in your first term of enrollment and extenuating circumstances arise, contact your advisor.

Step 1: Contact your Student Success Coach. Discuss your options with your Student Success Coach. They can help you decide whether or not you qualify and should apply for a formal leave of absence.

Step 2: FIll out an Undergraduate Leave of Absence form. Obtain a copy of the form from your Student Success Coach.

Step 3: Cancel your enrollment. You must manually cancel or drop your classes in MyU, whether for current or future terms. This prevents you from receiving “F” grades. Depending on when you cancel your enrollment, you may be responsible for all or part of the tuition and fees (check the cancel/add and refund deadlines). Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records.

Step 4: Check on your financial aid. Taking a leave of absence may have implications on future financial aid eligibility and student loan repayment. You may be required to repay your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, or loans. We strongly encourage you to investigate these impacts prior to requesting a leave of absence. Contact UMR One Stop Student Services to speak with a One Stop Counselor if you have questions on your financial aid.

Step 5: Complete exit counseling. If you received financial aid and will not be attending at least half-time, you must complete exit counseling. It may take several weeks after cancelling classes for you to be auto-enrolled in exit counseling; check your University email regularly for prompts to complete the process. A hold will be placed on your student account until you complete exit counseling.

Step 6: Pay any remaining charges on your student account. You will not be able register at the University in the future, or request an official transcript, if any unpaid, past-due charges remain on your account (tuition, fee, etc.). If your account is past due, it may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action.

Step 7: Return any materials on loan from the University. Library books, laptop, lab equipment, keys, and any other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.

Step 8: Update your contact information. Keep your address and phone number up-to-date with the University. Official communications will continue to be sent to your University of Minnesota email account.

If you are a grad student and would like to take a leave of absence, contact your department or director of graduate studies. You can also find documentation and read more about the LOA policy for grad students. Note that time spent on an approved LOA does not count against your time to degree.

Many aspects of student life may be affected by taking a leave of absence. Here are other things to consider that may or may not apply to you:

  • Financial aid: Taking a leave of absence may have implications on future financial aid eligibility and student loan repayment. You may be required to repay your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, or loans. We strongly encourage you to investigate these impacts prior to requesting a leave of absence.
  • Email: To keep your email account active, you must log in to your University email at least every 90 days. Your email address will continue to be the official means of communication from the University.
  • Tuition refund: If you are leaving the University for extenuating circumstances (e.g. medical or US military reasons), you may be entitled to a partial or, in rare cases, a full tuition refund. Refer to the Tuition Refund Appeal form. Be aware that you must provide third-party documentation supporting your appeal. If you are leaving for US military reasons, refer to the Active Military Duty Cancellation policy.
  • Housing: Whether you live on or off campus, be sure to update the Housing and Residential Life office or your landlord to discuss your options. There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease.
  • Health benefits: You may no longer be covered by a University-sponsored health plan once you take a leave of absence from the University. If you are covered by the University’s health plan, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine your status. If you are covered under a private plan and are no longer a student, contact the private health plan carrier to discuss implications.
  • Veterans: If you received benefits as a servicemember, or family member of a US veteran, you must notify University Veterans Services of your leave. If you are leaving for US military reasons, please refer to the Active Military Duty Cancellation policy.
  • International students: SEVIS requires notification if you are an international student who plans to leave the University. Consult with an F1/J1 advisor before leaving and/or requesting a leave of absence from your college. Leaving the University may affect your visa status and scholarship eligibility.
  • Student athletes: If you are a current or former student athlete, you may need to obtain approval from the Department of Athletics of your temporary or permanent leave of the University.

Important Dates


Fri, Jun 3, 2022 Last day of instruction for May session
Mon, Jun 6, 2022 Summer session begins
Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins