Home > Academics > Verify your enrollment status

Verify your enrollment status

You may need to officially certify enrollment for student loan deferment, insurance discounts, or for requests related to scholarships or visas. Outside agencies requesting enrollment verification will be provided with an official document from the University of Minnesota. Documentation of your enrollment will be attached to the request from the outside agency and should provide all required information.

Enrollment verification can include

  • Enrollment (for all terms or only the most recent term)
    For each term, enrollment will be listed as full-time, 3/4-time, half-time, or less than 1/2-time (no status listed if not enrolled)
  • Cumulative GPA and credits (for all terms or only the most recent term)
  • Expected graduation date (provided by the student)
  • Degree/Certificate awarded
  • Degree GPA (GPA as of the date your degree was conferred; available only for undergraduate degrees)

How to obtain an enrollment verification

  • You can view, print, and/or request to send your enrollment verification by mail at any time by logging into MyU: Academics (see step-by-step instructions).
  • If you do not have access to make an online request, you can submit an Enrollment/Degree Verification form via mail, fax, or email.
  • A third party requesting an enrollment and degree verification on your behalf is able to obtain this information from the National Student Clearinghouse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year at www.studentclearinghouse.org, or by calling (703) 742-4200, M-Th 9 a.m.-7 p.m., or Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Eastern Time. Note: The National Student Clearinghouse charges a minimal fee.

Verification FAQ

Depending on what information you need to verify and for whom, a verification letter may be sufficient. If you need to verify only your full-time status and GPA, for example, you may wish to request a verification letter instead of a transcript. Verification letters are free and requests are processed within one business day.

No. The University participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, which notifies many lenders about student's' enrollment status.

The University submits a tape of students' registration statuses to the Clearinghouse three times each semester (starting the end of the second week). The Clearinghouse, in turn, supplies verification of registration to lending agencies. All deferment loan forms are forwarded by the Office of the Registrar to the Clearinghouse; this information is not supplied directly to lending agencies.

If you have enrolled late or had an exception processed to your registration, your enrollment information may not be reported until the submission of the next tape. The Clearinghouse asks that if you receive a collections letter from a lending agency, you:

  • Call the lending agency to see if a deferment form was received between the time the Clearinghouse supplies this information and the lending agency sent the collection letter.
  • If, after calling the lending agency, it still appears that your deferment has not been processed, you may call the Clearinghouse, 703-742-7791, and ask for a student service representative. The representative will verify the date on which the deferment form was received by the Clearinghouse, the date the deferment was certified and mailed, the registration status that was certified, and where the forms were sent.
  • If an emergency exists (for example, you are being threatened with default) the Clearinghouse will intervene on your behalf by faxing another deferment to the lending agency and will work with them to ensure the form is processed on a high priority.

Some lenders are not members of the Clearinghouse. If you receive a loan deferment form from your lender, bring your request in person or mail to One Stop Student Services.

Minnesota law allows a student who takes at least 60 percent of a full-time credit load to qualify as a full-time student for purposes of continued health care coverage on a family policy if the reduced credit load is due to illness, injury, or mental or physical disability and with appropriate documentation from a physician.

Health plan companies are responsible for informing you of this option, if it applies to you. You can receive certification of your credit load and the number of credits required for a 60 percent credit load from One Stop Student Services. Your physician should then forward your certification with the appropriate medical documentation to your insurance company.

More information about deferments and other exceptions to the definitions of full-time and half-time status are available by contacting One Stop Student Services by email, by phone, or in person.

Related Resources

Important Dates


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session