Update your information
Update personal information
Complete the Request to Change Legal Name And/Or Gender (Sex) form and return it, along with the required documentation, to the listed address on the form. Please allow up to seven business days for processing. Reminder: you may update your preferred name in MyU: My Info (see step-by-step instructions) at any time.
You may contact the U card office after your preferred or primary/legal name change has been processed to find out how to obtain a new card.
Minnesota law requires all students born after December 31, 1956, who enroll in a Minnesota college or university to be immunized against certain diseases. See Boynton Health for information on how to update your record.
If you are a US citizen or permanent resident (green card), you are considered a Minnesota resident if:
- You have been continuously present in the state of Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of class attendance at the University.
- During that one-year period, you must not have attended any Minnesota post-secondary educational institutions.
Having a history out of the state, including transfer coursework, graduation from a non-Minnesota high school, and out-of-state work experience, may result in you receiving an initial classification of nonresident.
Complete the Request to Change Legal Name And/Or Gender (Sex) form and return it to the address listed on the form. Please allow up to seven business days for processing. You are required to submit documentation (a copy of your driver’s license, court order, or passport/visa) along with your request form. If you have questions or want an exception to the required documentation, use the contact information listed on the form.
Update contact information
Student information and public records
Some of your student information is a matter of public record. If it is public record, it is available to anyone who makes a request for public records.
Your information that is considered public record includes:
- Dates of enrollment
- Enrollment status
- Academic program
- Academic advisor
- College or school
- Degrees and credentials awarded
This information is included in the U of M’s directory information, can be made available upon request, and may be disclosed without your consent.
Your student information will first appear in the directory information on the first day of the term for the first class you take as a student. You can suppress your directory information in the My Info tab of MyU at any time throughout your academic career.
To understand what information is public, refer to the Board of Regents Student Education Records policy.
People Search directory
In addition to public records, the University has an online directory called People Search (login required). Anyone with a University internet ID and password can log in to People Search and look up University members.
By default, People Search shows all of your information included in the directory information, plus:
- University email address
Change your privacy settings
You can make some or all of your information private. The changes that you make apply to public records requests for student information as well as to the results shown in the People Search directory.
In MyU, there are five options to suppress (hide or restrict) your information:
- Suppress ONLY my phone numbers.
- Suppress ONLY my addresses.
- Suppress BOTH my phone numbers and my addresses.
- Suppress my phone numbers, my address, my email
- Your information will not appear in the University’s public directories. Your phone numbers, addresses and email addresses will not be released to third parties without your written permission.
- Suppress ALL information about me
- Your information will not be released to third parties without your written permission, including your university enrollment information. The University will not verify your attendance or degree completion to prospective employers, financial institutions, rental agencies, or other entities offering services without your written permission.
Changes take effect within 24 hours. For help, contact email@example.com or call 612-301-4357.
Student records policies
Suppressing your information does not hide it from University staff who need your information, such as your advisor. If you also work at the University, your employment information will not be hidden.